"He gives snow like wool;
He scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
He hurls down His crystals of ice like crumbs;
who can stand before His cold?
He sends out His word,
and melts them;
He makes His wind blow
and the waters flow."
Psalm 147:16-18
Wow. This is my new favorite Psalm :) Those last two lines are sooo significant right now, while us East Coast Americans are sitting in the middle of a hurricane. I don't think I've ever been in a natural disaster, so I was kind of excited (Yes, I am weird like that. I get excited when I might die ;P). Unfortunately (I meeaan, thankfully), it's not that bad. It's just very windy and rainy out. But reading those verses this morning, I just thought about how powerful our God is. The chapter before was titled "Put Not Your Trust in Princes." WOW. See a link? Princes (insert: Presidents, governors, politicians, kings, etc.) aren't half--scratch that, aren't a billionth as powerful as God. Our God, MY God. And how incredible does that feel to know that He's on our side? "If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31) I feel like the world is ending because of all these earthquakes, hurricanes and tornadoes. But really, there's nothing to worry about because 1) God is on our side and He's taking care of us, and 2) If you're a Christian, you'll be taken before anything really awful happens. All the other disasters have been happening in other parts of the world, like Japan and Haiti, and I felt really detached from the whole situation. But now, with the earthquake in Virginia that reached Boston and Hurricane Irene cutting through MA and NY, it doesn't feel so far away. Maybe now that people (insert: NorthEast Americans) are actually experiencing a little bit of the devastation that's overtaken less prosperous countries, we'll be more generous and open to giving/helping causes that support "the least of these" that have been attacked (see my last post). Well, I gotta go, but that's my shpeel for the day :)
These are the hands that built the mountains,
the hands that calm the seas.
These are the arms that hold the heavens,
they are holding you and me.
...you will be safe in His arms.
Safe by Phil Wickham
No comments:
Post a Comment