"Sometimes I would like to ask God why He allows poverty, suffering, and injustice when He could do something about it."
"Well, why don't you ask Him?"
"Because I'm afraid He would ask me the same question."
-Anonymous, from The Hole in Our Gospel
Hello, my wonderful unkindly-forgotten friends!
I am currently reading The Hole in Our Gospel for my English choice summer reading book. I have 11 days to finish 114 pages! :) But, so far, this book has been absolutely incredible. I highly recommend it, especially if you are overly interested in social justice, World Vision, and/or the hole that is missing in our modern-day Christian Gospel. I am overly interested in all of the above, which is probably why I am enjoying this book so much! God has shoveled a whole heap of love on my heart for "the least of these," especially recently. Like the founder of World Vision, Bob Pierce, said, "Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God." That's pretty much exactly how I feel! Thank You, Jesus, for putting this on my heart... I think I want to be the president of World Vision or another aid organization...
The United Nations created a list of eight goals they wanted to accomplish by 2015:
The Millennium Development Goals -- Adopted September 8, 2000
By 2015 we resolve to:
1) Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
2) Achieve universal primary education
3) Promote gender equality and empower women
4) Reduce child mortality
4) Reduce child mortality
5) Improve maternal health
6) Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
7) Ensure environmental sustainability
8) Develop a global partnership for development
This makes me proud to be an American! We're actually doing something!
I need to go clean the bathroom (one small step for cleanliness, one giant leap for common health), but I will be working on compiling a list of things to DO. Because, really,
"What's the point of all this if you're not going to let it change you?"
lovelovelove, naomi
1 comment:
i totally agree with everything you said.... maybe i'll read it on my own time thanks for the advice
Post a Comment